First, for those that were watching the mainstream media during the kickoff… here’s a brief recap of the Fast and Furious scandal:
- -1- First the president ran around making a specious statement about the percentage of guns used in Mexican crimes that were purchased in the US. His statements were intended to further vilify those he had previously characterized as “bitter clingers”…
- And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” ~ Barack Obama 2008
- -2- People that understood MATH pointed out the presidents remarks about the percentage of US guns in Mexican crimes were, ummm, bullshit, and his numbers were made up.
- -3- Agencies in the executive branch started activities that could only accomplish one goal… Making the presidents specious statistics closer to reality.
- -4- A US Border agent is killed with weapons supplied by US authorities to Mexican drug lords.
- -5- Whistleblowers point out the Fast and Furious operation, which is forcing US weapons sellers to ignore law and supply guns to people they know are going to supply them to Mexican cartels
- -6- The whistleblowers are punished. Meanwhile the administration officials that were involved in breaking both US and Mexican law are transferred and/or promoted. The administration pretends they fixed the problem. Then they pretend it’s George Bush’s fault, though he was out of office before the program was created.
- -7- The administration stonewalls the investigation, but assures us repeatedly neither Holder nor the president were aware at any time what their subordinates were up to. This defies logic, as the operation involved coordination of the ATF who pressured sellers to play along, and the FBI, who performed background checks. Only high level officials could have signed off on that interagency coordination
- -8- Holders statements to congress are proven false. The administration continues to stress that the president had no knowledge, but all evidence points to Holders involvement in the coverup if not the program itself. His only defense is to claim he doesn’t actually read correspondence sent directly to him.
- -9- Holder was on his way down on Fast and Furious. The president, who of course had no involvement in the program that was trying to make his prior claims a reality… covers the documents that expose Holder’s involvement in the coverup (if not the operation itself) with a claim of Executive Privilege. For Executive Privilege to apply at all requires White House involvement.
- -10- The national media collectively yawns, then launches into discussions of *real* news, mostly involving Kim Kardashean’s exploits and who will judge American Idol next season.
As reported by the LA Times, the weapons WE, the United States, supplied to Mexican drug cartels are still in use, this time being used in the death of Mexican officials. See Police chief killed with rifle lost in ATF gun-tracking program.
The Fast and Furious program was NOT an anti-criminal operation. It was not a gun-safety measure. It was a cooperative venture of multiple departments in the executive branch of the US government intended to help bolster a political point against a segment of US citizens in order to aid the president in chipping away at an amendment in the constitution he swore months prior to uphold.
The executive branch departments are not a personal plaything for the president to use for political gain. They are merely bodies under his control that are to be used to help him administer the duties delegated to his branch per the constitution.
Fast and Furious is one of MANY issues where this president has used executive branch agencies as political tools. It is NOT a coincidence that nearly every one of the many scandals dogging the executive branch involve either a case where executive agencies were employed like brass knuckles with which to beat Obama’s political opponents, or else they were simply out of control and spending money as if there were no oversight whatsoever.
Our government is out of control, and being misused. F&F is just one of many symptoms. We need to pay attention as the sickness is spreading while we pretend it doesn’t exist.